The new MacbookPro models have arrived and man, was that a yawn?
Ok, for most this might be moot…but here it goes:
- You need to buy it with all the RAM you will ever think you will need because you can’t upgrade after.
- You need to buy it with the maximum storage you need, that is, it should be greater than what you are replacing it with.
- No more magsafe power connector. It can be any Tbolt-3 port. On the 15″ model, there are 4.
And now, the biggest cost … I built a 1TB, loaded 15″ Touch model. It costs $3499. And that is without Applecare. Oh, must…have…Applecare if you are a “me firsty”.
Hey, with the 15″ MBPTB, it can have 512GB, 1TB or even 2TB of storage! Ouch, that 2TB is $1200 option over the 512GB. 4GB of VideoRam is $100 more (you will need that to drive a 5K LG display…ooooooi!) Maximum SSD storage on the 13″ model is 1TB.
USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 as they call it is rather interesting. The speed, video, adaptors… more to come!
Well Apple released 10.12 and pulled previous updaters.
Doesn’t play well with PDFs and ScanSnap from Fujitsu.
I took chance and updated. So far, not really a big deal.
Security wise, it is an upgrade and Apple seems to be moving away from fixing older bugs with new ones.
Apple Sierra aka 10.12.0
Apple’s “el capitan” update is out.
10.11.4 Combo is recommended.
Get it here. Avoid the delta. Or if your didn’t redo the combo.
Here is link.
So, it’s been 3 years. Late 2013 to be exact. And Apple gave us this…trash can, wine cooler, bin thing. Elegant. Quiet. Ports. Dual GPUs. Up to 12 cores. Easy to add RAM.
But now we see the mess. No raid. No internal capacity (incapacity) increase. Still mired at 1TB. Sad.
Meanwhile, designers either snatch up 2010-2012 MacPro leftovers and ramp them up to more storage, ram and GPUs. The MacPro Late 2013 is actually behind.
Apple, I hope you read this and are going to top the cooler this year. Otherwise, I can see myself moving to a custom PC with Windows 10 Pro and SSDs raided. Some MLBs have Tbolt THREE now. And I can have bluray drives. In a quiet, water cooled case. Sigh.
..at a WHOPPING 4.58 GB update install! And you know, I recommend only the combo updates when available.
The OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.
- Improves Wi-Fi reliability
- Improves the reliability of Handoff and AirDrop
- Fixes an issue that may cause Bluetooth devices to disconnect
- Fixes an issue that prevented Mail from deleting messages in an offline Exchange account
- Fixes an issue that prevented importing photos from an iPhone to a Mac using a USB cable
- Improves iCloud Photo Sharing for Live Photos
Download the Combo update here.
Ordered a SIX Terabyte HDD. Seems I have 3 of the 1TB Seagate models that are having issues (or will have issues). So best to migrate all that is on them to this 6TB model. @ $289, its a bargain! I mean I paid $300 for one of the Seagate 1TB when I first bought one.
Hopefully Newegg shipping won’t have it damaged. They tend to ship bar drives in a cheap bubble wrap rather than double box. I will update here when I get with pics and how the transfer goes.
Newsflash! Macanix domain is moving! Email may not be working. Until then:
- -Yahoo moving small biz websites to Aabaco. (Alibaba stake from Yahoo)
- -Aabaco has poor support and my site had vulnerable WP for a month. Over 30 min MINIMUM hold time. Unacceptable.
- -In the meantime. … migration to new host successful!
- -Yahoo’s switch to Aabaco damaged my database (WordPress PHP). I happended to find this out by accident. Lesson: export database and backup regularly!
- Finally sent email to someone and they were able to cancel my Yahoo/Lumina/Aabaco acct.
- Now hosted with inMotion…so far very good support.